Monday, June 25, 2007

Pirates Blunder

Pirates Of The Caribbean – At Worlds End

Branded as one of this summer’s blockbusters and for some a “sure hit” At Worlds End does not deliver. The film was 167 minutes of slapstick comedy, cheap gags, double-crosses (too many to keep track), and a weak love story between Elizabeth Swann (Kiera Knightley) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom). The plot seemed to be all over the place. After the film a friend called and asked me what the movie was about. I felt like I needed a flow chart to explain what was happening.

The best part about the over 2 ½ hours I spent in my squirming in my seat was the Transformers trailer that showed.(If I would have known that’s as good as was going to feel, I would have left. Encore movie channel had a Jaws marathon on) Unlike its predecessors, The Curse Of The Black Pearl and Dead Man’s Chest, At Worlds End replaces elaborate sword fighting scenes with witty one-liners from Jack Sparrow and big budget ship explosions and characters who’s problems never seem to get resolved. The most irritating scene of the movie is in the middle of a huge sword fight Elizabeth and Will decided to get married. I had no problem with that…….except that they actually recited vows to one another as Captain Barbossa played the role of the Minster. All three fought off bad guys while going through the ceremony. At points the lovely couple would be thrown into one another just long enough to gaze into each other’s eyes and say their vows.

The movie wasn’t a total waste. Bill Nighy does an excellent job as Davy Jones. He really brought a lot of life to that character that we didn’t see in the previous movie. I just wish we had more of him in the film.

My suggestion: If you feel you REALLY need to see it, I would rent, Netflix or borrow from some die hard Pirates fan who won’t admit the movie stunk. If you miss this last (hopefully) installment don’t feel bad. I’m going to pretend I never saw it.

My grade: 2.0 – Enough to get you on the basketball team, but your parents are going to be upset when you get home.

1 comment:

Still a Miss. said...

I hated this movie. They took great #1 and made a bad #2 and a even worse #3. I didnt even pay to see this movie and I still want my money back! I totally agree with you it was BAD!