Monday, August 27, 2007

W-A-R is B-A-D

All summer I’ve sworn that Pirates Caribbean 3 was by far the worst movie I’ve seen. That was until Saturday afternoon when I went to go see Jet Li and Jason Statham star in War. I got together with three of my good friends and I must say we were all very excited to see this movie. None of us really had high expectations. We wanted to see an “ok” plot, some good action, a few laughs , and a big finish. Let’s just say we got none of the things on our wish list.

Statham plays Crawford an FBI agent who’s a complete bad (you know what) that works in San Francisco’s Chinatown. He knows martial arts and speaks fluent Chinese. One day Crawford’s partner Tom (Terry Chen) and his wife and daughter are killed by Rouge (Jet Li). Fast forward to 3 years later and Crawford is obsessed with the case and is divorced from his wife because of it. He’s spent the last few years trying to find Rouge, who for some reason changes his face every six months.

We all know what happens next. Rouge shows up again and Crawford is on the case. This time Rouge is starting a war between two crime families, the Triads and Yakuza. The two families feud with Rouge and Crawford’s battle caught somewhere in the middle.

The only reason I had a problem with this film was because it could have been a B+ film, and somehow it ended up being a C- (and that may be generous). The fight scenes with Jet Li and the cool cars saved the film, and now make it a rental.

Some of the movies funnier moments come from Wick (Mathew St. Patrick) who is an FBI agent. Now it’s not anything that his character does in the film, but how horrible his acting was. I’m sure if you look him up on IMDB you’ll see he has a nice body of work. War was definitely not one of his best performances. The guy looks like Barry Bonds and Theo from the Cosby show had a kid. I’m still wondering how he got that part in this movie.

The plot stunk! There was a twist at the end that really made no sense at all, and the ending was terrible. I was hoping to see this great fight scene between Jet Li and Jason Statham, and that didn’t happen. I thought I’d get some good action and that didn’t happen either. I’m not sure what direction this movie was going. It seemed to be all over the place at times. The crime bosses didn’t seem bad enough. You always need a good villain and the villains in this film were a little too happy. They gave us no real reason to cheer for Crawford as he chases Rouge all over town. I found myself cheering for Rouge more than anything.

My suggestion: Don’t see it. Rent it if you REALLY love Jet Li or have a taste for bad movies. Me and my friends were very disappointed. We discussed the movie and tried to salvage what we could. Ultimately we all decided it was one of the worst movies of the summer.

My grade- 2.2: You failed your final. Now you have to face the music at home. Maybe you should stay at your friends house until your parents cool off.

No comments: