Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Stephen King's - The Mist

I’ve always wonder if me and some of my co-workers looked outside and zombies ran the streets, or Jigsaw had us trapped in some where house, or even if we decided to have our retreat at Camp Crystal Lake, how would people react? Would we all ban together? Would I jump in front of a machete for a stranger? Maybe I’d trip someone as we were being chased by Zombies. That could easily buy us 5-10 minutes.

That’s what I liked about the Mist. It answered a lot of those questions for me. I don’t feel like I ever really seen that played out in a movie. Most movies start like that but at some point people have seen enough madness that it brings them together. Saw II sort of scratched the surface in the “finding a needle in the haystack” scene. I laughed out loud thinking, “I could really see someone doing that”.

The Mist starts as there is a storm rolls into town. The next morning the towns people are at the store getting supplies just in case the storm gets worse. As the mist rolls into to town the people soon realize the seemingly harmless mist is actually deadly. They are barricade themselves in the store. David Drayton (Thomas Jane) sees some unworldly things in the loading dock. Now his mission is to keep whatever is out there from coming in, protect his son, and figure out what exactly what is causing this mist.

The movie is about the monsters inside the store as well as the monsters outside. One of the monsters is Mrs. Carmody (Marcia Gay Harden) who goes on and on about this being the end of the world and man having to pay for its sins. As the movie goes on she starts to look more and more like a prophet or “God’s vessel” and less like a crazy woman. Brent Norton (Andre Braugher) is a non believer. He thinks the mist is what it is and the locals are trying to pull a fast one on him. He and others decide to leave the safety of the store and brave the mist. Not a good idea.

The movie is good. It deals with the nature of man (or woman). We are all raised different and have different believes, responsibilities, world views. All of that comes out in a crisis situation. So you think you have 8 really good friends? Trap you all in a house and tell you that death is outside waiting to get in and you have to figure a way out. Who snaps? Who is going to be the Ms. Carmody of the group? Who decides to “sacrifice” someone for the greater good of the group? Who says I’ll give my life so the rest can live? Hopefully I’ll never have to answer any of these questions.

My suggestion: Go see the movie! It’s good and will possible give you the creeps. There aren’t too many good scary movies, but this delivers some good thrills.

My grade: 3.3 – Okay grades in a mediocre class. Your classmates need to step it up

1 comment:

Still a Miss. said...

This movie is so creepy! Oh and the end was good!