Monday, March 31, 2008

The Hammer



Is it me or does The Hammer sounds like an old 1970's TV show. One of those shows where the lead character is a tough-as-nails detective who's known for roughing up the bad guys. The type of guy who doesn't care about the rules, his only concern is justice……………..STREET JUSTICE.

So when I heard that they were making a film I was shocked to hear it was about boxing; not the action drama that I've scripted in my head.

The Hammer stars Adam Carolla as 40 year old Jerry Ferro. The former amateur boxer who is now a construction worker/ boxing instructor at a local gym. With life now getting the best of Jerry, he decides to take an opportunity at the Olympic tryouts and return to competitive boxing.

Two words to describe this movie: original and funny………… a lot funnier than I expected. (that's more than two words I know)

Adam Carolla is Adam Carolla in this film. If you listen to his radio show or have seen him on Jimmy Kimmel Live, you know what to expect from him. Carolla likes to rant and rave about random observations. Carolla will say, "Do you know what bothers me? What bothers me is…….". I swear the man could go on for hours on one topic alone. That happens to be part of what makes Carolla funny. His character in the film is the same way. Not only does it work well, it works very well.

The movie also has a nice love story involving Jerry and one of his boxing students Lindsay (Heather Juregensen). If you need to convince a woman to see it, here is your angle. There is enough "romance" in the movie that it will keep her interested plus she won't drag you to see 27 Dresses for making her watch this movie.

There is also a funny comedic performance from Oswaldo Castillo as Oswald. Harold House Moore plays Robert Brown, a light heavyweight competing with Jerry for that elusive Olympic spot. Moore does a great job as the young, hot shot, up-and-coming boxer.

My suggestion: Go see The Hammer! If you like Adam Carolla you will like this movie. It's a nice original story that's also funny, and entertaining. It's going to be one of those movies that people will re-watch on cable. Well worth the $9.75 I paid to see it.

No comments: