Monday, April 21, 2008

Forgettig Sarah Marshall


The Summer movie season officially starts in May (at least that’s what I’m told). Audiences are in for a treat with the new comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I love how funny/ironic relationships can be. The same things that can make you laugh hysterically can drive you crazy the next minute. It was great to see some of that on film.

In Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Peter (Jason Segel) breaks up with his TV star girlfriend, Sarah (Kristen Bell). After being a mess for weeks, he decides to take a vacation to Hawaii and stay at an exclusive resort. The only problem is that Sarah is staying at the resort too with her new boyfriend, rock star Aldous Snow (Russell Brand).

The premise for the movie alone is pretty funny. I ranked this movie #6 on my list of movies to see this summer. After watching it, I should have ranked it a little higher………definitely ahead of Semi-Pro.

Jason Segel does a great job as Peter. He’s very believable as the guy who dated a girl who was out of his league, then has to come to grips with them not being together. I really could have done without the frontal male nudity. They should have warning signs that pop up on the screen so you know to cover your eyes. He was able to carry the movie and not to mention the fact that I’ve been singing that Dracula song since Friday night.

No comedy is complete without beautiful co-stars. Mila Kunis was great in the film as Rachel. I’ll go on record as saying I didn’t know she was that cute. This role should bump her up a few notches on Maxim’s Hot 100 list for next year. She’ll be the “it” girl that all the guys will be buzzing about after the movie. There is something attractive about someone who can really play the sweet innocent girl or the really bad I-think-you-may-be-a-psycho girl. Maybe psycho is the new sexy. Kristen Bell was last seen in Heroes strike shortened season. Bell was able to pull of her role as Sarah Marshall. She was surprisingly funny in her CSI like TV show.

The supporting cast which includes Paul Rudd, Bill Hader, Jonah Hill, and Jack McBrayer did a good job filling in for some of the movies funnier moments. The surprise comedy comes from Russell Brand who plays Sarah’s new boyfriend, Aldous. Some of the one-liners he delivers are gut busting. You mix that with his accent and you get a great sleazy Euro pop star boyfriend. The kind of guy that most men love to hate. He may easily win the MTV Movie Award for Best Villain

My suggestion: It’s one of the first “must see” movies of the year. If you don’t like dirty jokes or as my friend would say raunchy comedy, don’t see this movie. It reminded me why I love comedy so much. It’s a hilarious look at one of the most uncomfortable situations, seeing your recent ex with a new love. They make light of the situation, but this film will definitely have you thinking of what you might do in that situations. This is a great comedy and I hope more people go to see it.

1 comment:

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

I've never really been a fan of films like Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Russell Brand puts me right off anyway. All my friends want to see it just because he's in it, but I'm not sure about him.
Love your blog anyway!
Ciao

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogpsot.com